The Hill and Moorland Leader award is designed for people who want to lead groups in the hill and moorland areas of the UK and Ireland. This award is a wonderful opportunity to learn the leadership skills required to feel confident about taking people out walking. As you may have guessed from the descriptive title of this award, it focuses on non-mountainous terrain.
Hill and Moorland Leader
RAW Adventures can provide training and assessment courses for Mountain Training’s Hill and Moorland Leader. This qualification scheme has been designed for people who wish to lead groups on day walks in the hilly and moorland areas of the UK and Ireland summer conditions. The scope and accessibility for this scheme makes it very achievable and appropriate for Duke of Edinburgh leaders and volunteer staff, for example. It is a nationally recognised walking qualification that opens up a natural pathway to other Mountain Training qualifications for leading and working with others in the outdoors. We are also happy to run bespoke courses for groups at an agreed location. Please contact us to discuss further.
Checklist for booking:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You should have at least a year’s worth of experience of hill walking
- You should have an interest in leading groups in the hills
- Register for the Hill and Moorland Leader scheme
- You must be a member of a mountaineering council: BMC, Mountaineering Scotland or Mountaineering Ireland (you can join one when you register if you're not already a member)
We offer a 3 day (30 hour) training course, inclusive of time out practically with your group as well as some inside sessions to discuss further topics. Precise meet locations will be sent to you upon booking but our courses run from various bases in North Wales or the Shropshire Hills. The Hill and Moorland Leader syllabus covers: