Our Rock Skills courses are designed to provide structured training opportunities for people who want to learn more and become independent climbers. There are three different levels so that complete beginners and those with more experience can choose the most appropriate starting point.
Rock Skills Intermediate - Young People
The Rock Skills Intermediate course is for those that already have some climbing experience and want to learn how to become a competent second. You will already have climbed at least 10 routes indoors or outdoors, and will be able to tie in and belay. The main aims of this course are to learn how to be a safe belayer, how to second routes competently and how to belay a lead climber. You will develop your climbing movement skills and learn how to place protection and construct belays.
This particular course is being run for young people aged between 12 and 17 with an emphasis on how to rock climb in Guernsey. The course runs over two full days, Saturday 23 and Wednesday 27 July, from 0930 until 1730 on both days. A number of venues will be used. These will be decided on nearer the time, depending on conditions.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Background and planning: choosing a suitable venue, how to use guidebooks, crag etiquette and the work of the mountaineering councils.
- Climbing skills: warming up and injury avoidance, developing your movement skills and widening your repertoire of climbing moves.
- Footwear and equipment: rock boot fit, selecting the right equipment for improved performance, and an introduction to climbing protection.
- Technical skills: building anchors, selecting runners, ropework, belaying, holding falls, lowering, seconding a route and personal abseiling.
- Environmental knowledge: the impact of climbers at the crag, ethics, access, and environmental considerations.
- Hazards and emergency procedures: identifying hazards, managing risk when climbing, abseiling and bouldering. Understanding common injuries, how to get help and the role of Cliff Rescue.
Note that the course content will be adapted to match the participants abilities with instructors teaching techniques appropriate to the age and experience of those attending.
Please contact email@example.com for more details.